Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Soft Construction with Boiled Beans

Soft Construction with Boiled Beans-Premonintion of Civil War
by Salvador Dali
Oil On Canvas, 1936
This painting is centered around the Spanish Civil War which occurred the same year this painitng was done. Salvodor Dali was against war so I knew to expect anti-war tones in this painting. I think that this disfigured figure is representaive of Spain during this Civil War. The figure seems to show signs of internal conflict, hence the upper hand is grasping trying to control the upper limb and the head. The lower hand seems like it has given up and looks more lifeless than the other hand. I don't truly understand the beans on the floor and what they have to do with the title, maybe if I lived in Spain in 1936 I would know what the beans meant, but by merely looking at the painting it is hard to determine.

No comments:

Post a Comment